TED英语演讲:你为生命的终结做好准备了吗

时间:2023-06-01 11:33:18 作者:会员上传

  当我们想到死亡的时候总是可怕的,但是提前准备是切实的,并且可以为临终前的安静留下足够的空间。在一个庄严并深思熟虑的演讲中,Judy 分享了5个为美好的临终生活做计划的方法。下面是小编为大家收集关于TED英语演讲:你为生命的终结做好准备了吗,欢迎借鉴参考。

  演说题目:你为生命的终结做好准备了吗?

  演说者:Judy MacDonald

  What would be a good end of life?

  什么是一个生活美好的结尾?

  And I'm talking about the very end.

  我所说的是最终的结尾

  I'm talking about dying.

  我所说的是死亡

  We all think a lot about how to live well.

  我们都在想如何更好的生活

  I'd like to talk about increasing our chances of dying well.

  而我想要谈的是,如何更美好地告别人生

  I'm not a geriatrician.

  我并不是老年病学家

  I design reading programs for preschoolers.

  我为学前班的孩子设计阅读课程

  What I know about this topic

  我对这个话题的了解

  comes from a qualitative study with a sample size of two.

  来源于一个定性的研究,其中有两个案例

  In the last few years, I helped two friends

  在过去的几年,我帮助两个好朋友

  have the end of life they wanted.

  以他们想要的方式,结束了他们的生命

  Jim and Shirley Modini spent their 68 years of marriage Jim

  和 Shirley Modini度过了他们68年的婚姻生活

  living off the grid on their 1,700-acre ranch

  生活在远离城镇的,1,700英亩的牧场里

  in the mountains of Sonoma County. Sonoma

  县的山区

  They kept just enough livestock to make ends meet

  他们喂养了仅仅是能养活他们自己的家禽

  so that the majority of their ranch would remain a refuge

  所以这大部分的牧场变成了避难所

  for the bears and lions and so many other things

  给熊,狮子和其他的动物

  that lived there.

  生活在那里

  This was their dream.

  这正是他们的梦想

  I met Jim and Shirley in their 80s.

  我在两个老人年迈八十的时候遇见他们

  They were both only children who chose not to have kids.

  他们只有一个子女,而他选择不要孩子

  As we became friends, I became their trustee

  当我们成为朋友后,我变成了他们的托管人

  and their medical advocate,

  与他们的医疗顾问

  but more importantly, I became

  但是更重要的是

  the person who managed their end-of-life experiences.

  我成为了帮助他们结束生活的那个人

  And we learned a few things about how to have a good end.

  并且我们学到了,如何有个好的结局

  In their final years, Jim and Shirley

  在最后的几年里, Jim和 Shirley

  faced cancers, fractures, infections, neurological illness.

  他们面对着癌症,骨折,传染病和神经上上的疾病

  It's true.

  这是真的

  At the end, our bodily functions

  人到了最后,我们身体的功能

  and independence are declining to zero.

  和独立性会降低到零

  What we found is that, with a plan and the right people,

  我们发现,如果有正确的计划和人

  quality of life can remain high.

  他们还是可以拥有高品质的生活

  The beginning of the end is triggered

  结束的开始是被其他所引起的

  by a mortality awareness event, and during this time,

  像对死亡的意识,并且在此期间

  Jim and Shirley chose ACR nature preserves Jim

  和 Shirley选择了ACR自然保护区

  to take their ranch over when they were gone.

  在他们去世后接手牧场

  This gave them the peace of mind to move forward.

  这给了他们一片祥和,然后继续前行

  It might be a diagnosis. It might be your intuition.

  这可能是个诊断,也可能是你的直觉

  But one day, you're going to say, "This thing is going to get me."

  有一天,你会说,这样的事情会打垮我

  Jim and Shirley spent this time Jim

  和Shirley用这些时间

  letting friends know that their end was near

  让他们的朋友知道,离他们离开人世的时间不远了

  and that they were okay with that.

  而他们对此没有埋怨

  Dying from cancer and dying from neurological illness

  因为患癌症与神经疾病而死去

  are different.

  是不一样的

  In both cases, last days are about quiet reassurance.

  两种情况,最后的几天都非常安详

  Jim died first. He was conscious until the very end, Jim

  先离去,到最后他都非常的清醒

  but on his last day he couldn't talk.

  但是在他最后一天,他说不了话

  Through his eyes, we knew when he needed to hear again,

  通过他的眼睛,我们知道当他想听我们说话

  "It is all set, Jim. We're going to take care of Shirley

  “什么都很好,Jim。我们会好好照顾 Shirley。

  right here at the ranch,

  就在此时,在牧场

  and ACR's going to take care of your wildlife forever."

  ACR会永远帮你保护好这里的野生动植物

  From this experience I'm going to share five practices.

  从这个经历中,我想和大家分享五个方案

  I've put worksheets online,

  我已经把步骤公布在了网上

  so if you'd like, you can plan your own end.

  所以如果你愿意,你可以计划你自己结束的方式

  It starts with a plan.

  这个步骤以着手计划开始

  Most people say, "I'd like to die at home."

  很多人会说”我愿意死在家里."

  Eighty percent of Americans die in a hospital

  但是百分之八十的美国人,在医院里死去

  or a nursing home.

  或者是养老院

  Saying we'd like to die at home is not a plan.

  所以说想死在家里,并不是一个计划

  A lot of people say, "If I get like that, just shoot me."

  很多人又会说“如果我像那样,一枪打死我”

  This is not a plan either; this is illegal.

  这也不是,因为不合法。

相关推荐

    TED英语演讲:如何用你的大脑控制他人的手臂

    葛雷格?盖吉的当前要务,是要让人人都可以接触脑神经科学。在这场有趣、又有点吓人的展示中,这位脑神经科学家兼资深TED讲者,用一台简单、便宜的自製工具来夺走其...

    TED英语演讲:如何在说话时表现出你的专业性

    放声说话并不是一件容易的事情,哥伦比亚大学商学院教授Adam Galinsky通过心理研究想出了许多解决这一问题的办法。下面是小编为大家收集关于TED英语演...

    TED英语演讲:西方是如何看待中国高考的

    Jay Walker 解释为什么全世界20亿人在学英语。 他展示了一些图片和一些令人激动的录像,展示了成千上万的中国学生练习世界第二语言英语的场面。下面是小...

    五分钟经典英语演讲稿

    英文演讲稿需要怎么写,以下是小编整理了关于五分钟经典英语演讲稿,希望你喜欢。  五分钟经典英语演讲稿范文  My definition of success...

    TED英语演讲:你要等到什么时候做回真实的自己

    社会越复杂,我们的表演属性就越强;当下的你与真实的自己有多远?本期演说者将从自身出发,富含感情地告诉大家掩藏真实的自己生活到底多危险。下面是小编为大家收集关...

    经典英语演讲3分钟

    为了提高学生英语口语教学水平,在学习英语口语的课堂中,融入英语演讲的教学模式,对于学生的英语口语提升相当有帮助。下面是范文大全小编为你整理的几篇经典英语演讲...

    TED英语演讲:压榨学生的大学贷款

    曾几何时在美国上大学不需要背负债务,而现如今高等教育已然成为了消费品,价格高昂,让人无力承担。但与此同时学校和发放贷款的银行却因为学生的贷款而获得巨大的利润...

    TED英语演讲:你以为语言只是交流工具

    会第二种语言,就像是有了第二个灵魂”,这正是我们学外语的原因之一。每种语言都带有自己的思维方式,有的语言中每个名词都有指定的性别;而有的语言中没...